Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Weekend Away

This past weekend, Chuck and I went to Newport, Rhode Island. It's about an hour from us, and we have gone there many times, and seen a lot of the sites. But it's a place that calls us back because it's so beautiful, full of history, good restaurants, and the ocean. I wrote a hub about it on Hub Pages, so if you want to read about sites to see for tourists, you can read about it here: http://karenhellier.hubpages.com/hub/Newport-Rhode-Island-Sites-to-Visit-as-a-Tourist But I just wanted to write tonight about how weekend getaways can be so rejuvenating, even if you don't go too far from home. There's something refreshing about getting out of your comfort zone, away from the places you see every day, and get a change of scenery. It's also nice to get away from your house...where so many things can distract a couple from being able to concentrate on just being together and enjoying each other's company.This includes cleaning, yard work, laundry, etc. Now sometimes, if you have children, the distractions may follow you, so I would advise if you do go away for a weekend without the kids, to leave your cell phone behind, at least for dinner, or a romantic walk on the beach. Hopefully the kids are in good hands with someone you trust, so to not be available by phone for an hour or two helps you to relax and concentrate on each other. I was happy to leave my phone behind at dinner Saturday night, and to enjoy a fantastic meal and glass of wine at this great little restaurant called the Brick Alley Pub.The next day, we did one tourist activity which I had never done before, but have always wanted to. In Newport, there's something called the Cliff Walk which is a 3 1/2 mile walk between the backs of mansions and houses on the shore, and the sea. There are areas where if you wander off the path, you will be on the edge of cliffs, but if you stay on the path, the scenery is beautiful, and you can smell the ocean air, and hear the waves crashing on the rocks below. It's very invigorating, but relaxing at the same time. Unfortunately, my cell phone did ring a few too many times this past weekend, due to having 3 teens, and it did interupt our peaceful weekend, but I am glad I am to the point where I can leave my cell phone behind at least part of the time,and spend time with my husband. Anyone have any other tips for being able to enjoy a romantic trip with your spouse with as few interuptions as possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment